Brilliant and engagingly written, Why Nations Fail answers the question that has stumped the experts for centuries: Why are some nations rich and others poor, divided by wealth and poverty, health and sickness, food and famine? Is it culture, the weather, geography? Perhaps ignorance of what the right policies are? In this blog post, you will be able to download free PDF e-book copy of Why Nations Fail PDF.
Simply, no. None of these factors is either definitive or destiny. Otherwise, how to explain why Botswana has become one of the fastest growing countries in the world, while other African nations, such as Zimbabwe, the Congo, and Sierra Leone, are mired in poverty and violence?
Daron Acemoglu and James Robinson conclusively show that it is man-made political and economic institutions that underlie economic success (or lack of it). Korea, to take just one of their fascinating examples, is a remarkably homogeneous nation, yet the people of North Korea are among the poorest on earth while their brothers and sisters in South Korea are among the richest. The south forged a society that created incentives, rewarded innovation, and allowed everyone to participate in economic opportunities.
The economic success thus spurred was sustained because the government became accountable and responsive to citizens and the great mass of people. Sadly, the people of the north have endured decades of famine, political repression, and very different economic institutions—with no end in sight. The differences between the Koreas is due to the politics that created these completely different institutional trajectories.
Based on fifteen years of original research Acemoglu and Robinson marshall extraordinary historical evidence from the Roman Empire, the Mayan city-states, medieval Venice, the Soviet Union, Latin America, England, Europe, the United States, and Africa to build a new theory of political economy with great relevance for the big questions of today, including:
– China has built an authoritarian growth machine. Will it continue to grow at such high speed and overwhelm the West?
– Are America’s best days behind it? Are we moving from a virtuous circle in which efforts by elites to aggrandize power are resisted to a vicious one that enriches and empowers a small minority?
– What is the most effective way to help move billions of people from the rut of poverty to prosperity? More philanthropy from the wealthy nations of the West? Or learning the hard-won lessons of Acemoglu and Robinson’s breakthrough ideas on the interplay between inclusive political and economic institutions?
Table of Contents
Below is the complete table of contents presented in Why Nations Fail PDF:
- SO CLOSE AND YET SO DIFFERENT
- THEORIES THAT DON’T WORK
- THE MAKING OF PROSPERITY AND POVERTY
- SMALL DIFFERENCES AND CRITICAL JUNCTURES: THE WEIGHT OF HISTORY
- “I’VE SEEN THE FUTURE, AND IT WORKS”: GROWTH UNDER EXTRACTIVE INSTITUTIONS
- DRIFTING APART
- THE TURNING POINT
- NOT ON OUR TURF: BARRIERS TO DEVELOPMENT
- REVERSING DEVELOPMENT
- THE DIFFUSION OF PROSPERITY
- THE VIRTUOUS CIRCLE
- THE VICIOUS CIRCLE
- WHY NATIONS FAIL TODAY
- BREAKING THE MOLD
- UNDERSTANDING PROSPERITY AND POVERTY
Below are the technical specifications of Why Nations Fail PDF.
- Book Name : Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity, and Poverty
- Edition : 1st Edition
- Author Name : Daron Acemoglu
- Format / Pages : PDF – 571 Pages
Why Nations Fail PDF Free Download
Here you will be able to download Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity, and Poverty PDF by using our direct download links that have been mentioned at the end of this article. This is a genuine PDF e-book file. We hope that you find this book useful in your studies. 🙂
Below is a screenshot of the cover image of this book:
FILE SIZE: 5.83 MB
Please use the link below to download Why Nations Fail PDF for free:
Have fun! 🙂
DMCA Disclaimer: This website strictly complies with DMCA Digital Copyright Laws. Please keep in mind that we do not own copyrights to these e-books. We are sharing this material ONLY for educational purpose. We highly encourage our readers to purchase this content from the respected publishers. If someone with copyrights wants us to remove this content, please contact us immediately.
All books/videos at Pick A PDF are free and NOT HOSTED ON OUR WEBSITE. If you feel that your copyrights have been violated, then please contact us immediately.
You may send an email to pickapdf [at] gmail.com for all DMCA / Removal Requests.